If you’re an avid Cities Skylines II player, you might have encountered the Paradox Launcher, an additional step in the game’s launch process that not everyone appreciates. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of skipping or avoiding the Paradox Launcher, so you can dive right into the game without any unnecessary delays.
Step 1: Preparing Your System
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of bypassing the Paradox Launcher, you’ll need to make a few adjustments to your system. Follow these steps:
- Show File Extensions in Windows: To start, ensure you can see file extensions in Windows. This will help you create the necessary files later on.
- Locate Cities2.exe: Go to your Steam game directory, where the Cities2.exe file is located. This is usually in your Steam installation folder.
- Create a New File: In the game directory, create a new file named “Cities2.bat” (not “Cities2.bat.txt” or “Cities2.txt”).
- Open the “Cities2.bat” File with a Text Editor: Right-click on the “Cities2.bat” file and open it with a text editor of your choice.
- Insert the Following Command: Inside the “Cities2.bat” file, insert the following command:bashCopy code
- Save and Close the File: Save your changes and close the “Cities2.bat” file.
Step 2: Configuring Steam
Now that you’ve prepared your system, it’s time to configure Steam to work with your new settings. Follow these steps:
- Open Steam: Launch your Steam client.
- Right-click on Cities Skylines II: In your Steam library, right-click on “Cities Skylines II.”
- Select Properties: In the context menu, select “Properties.”
- Insert Startup Parameters: In the Properties window, go to the “General” tab, and in the “Launch Options” box, insert the following:bashCopy code
- Exit and Start the Game: Close the Properties window, and you’re ready to start the game. The Paradox Launcher should now be skipped, and you can enjoy Cities Skylines II without any interruptions.
Uninstalling the Paradox Launcher
It’s important to note that the Paradox Launcher can run in the background even after you’ve skipped it. To ensure it’s completely removed from your system, follow these steps:
- Use Windows Apps – Uninstall: Go to your Windows Apps and uninstall the Paradox Launcher. There should be no further cleanup needed.
Why Avoid the Paradox Launcher?
You might be wondering why some players want to avoid the Paradox Launcher. The primary reasons include:
1. Violation of Data Protection Rights: The Paradox Launcher has raised concerns about violating personal data protection rights, especially in compliance with European law. It installs on your system without your explicit agreement and scans your PC, collecting various telemetric data. While Paradox claims not to sell this data to third-party companies, many users remain skeptical.
In summary, skipping the Paradox Launcher not only streamlines your game’s startup but also helps address privacy concerns related to data collection. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can enjoy a smoother Cities Skylines II experience without unnecessary interruptions.
Q: Does this guide work for other Paradox/Steam games? A: Yes, these steps can be adapted for use with various Paradox and Steam games.
Q: Can I still use Steam overlay with this method? A: Steam overlay might be disabled while using this method.
Q: How can I display on-screen FPS while playing? A: To display on-screen FPS, we recommend using MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner, or Hwinfo 7.64.
Q: Will Steam achievements still work with this setup? A: Steam achievements should work as expected.